Re: Windows x86-64 One-Click Install (9.1.2-1, 9.0.6-1) hangs on "initialising the database cluster" (with work-around)

From: Eric Borts <eborts(at)bltek(dot)com>
To: Dharmendra Goyal <dharmendra(dot)goyal(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Windows x86-64 One-Click Install (9.1.2-1, 9.0.6-1) hangs on "initialising the database cluster" (with work-around)
Date: 2012-01-28 03:31:14
Lists: pgsql-bugs
On 1/27/2012 7:47 PM, Dharmendra Goyal wrote:
> Nice analysis Eric. ANy idea why (which program set this) this
> particular registry was set.
Thanks Dharmendra! It was pretty exhausting.

I haven't a clue how this got changed. I tried goofing around with
shift, ctrl, etc. and I wasn't even able to get an "Open With" option on
the context menu. The only way I found to re-associate the file was:

     Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Default Programs > Set
Associations
     Double click .bat
     Click Browse
     Browse to C:\windows\system32\cmd.exe
     Click Open
     Select "Virtual Command Shell 9014006604090000"
     Click OK

So I doubt I did it manually. As far as what program made that
modification or what steps I went through to get Windows to give me the
option to re-associate a batch file, I don't know.

Now, once the association is set, it's impossible to remove without
editing the registry.

Thanks for spurring me on to find the source of the problem!

For kicks, here are a few links where people set the association
manually and were advised to delete the .bat\UserChoice key:
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itprogeneral/thread/fc2ca91d-5509-4c9b-92a5-5af19375e361
http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-7/how-to-disassociate-batch-files-from-notepad/5521.html