odbc link keep losing it senses

From: "Fred Parkinson" <FredP(at)abag(dot)ca(dot)gov>
To: <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: odbc link keep losing it senses
Date: 2012-01-27 15:32:46
Lists: pgsql-odbc

I have a postgresql 8.1.22 installation on a suse linux 10.1 box on a vmware virtual server.

I am using odbc driver 8.02.04 to link an M$ Access application to the postgresql database.
For some reason, every time I close the Access program, then re-open it and try to read from one of the tables, I get the error:
"ODBC--connection to '{PostgreSQL ANSI}<ip address>' failed."

Then when I use the Access menu tool File>Get External Data>Link Tables and choose the postgresql odbc option to the database, the link executes correctly and I am in. Until the next time I open the Access app., then I have to start over.

Any ideas why the ODBC link is so fragile, and breaks every time I close my application?

Thanks.

Fred Parkinson
Application Programmer
Association of Bay Area Governments