Re: JDBC Driver in Glassfish 3.1.1

From: Petra Systems <petrasys(at)mindspring(dot)com>
To: Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: JDBC Driver in Glassfish 3.1.1
Date: 2012-01-26 05:41:25
Lists: pgsql-jdbc
Hi:
Below is the environment and a definition of the problem and other
details.  If this is not the proper location to post please advise.

1) Application Server is Glassfish 2.1.1 (problem was also observed with
3.1.1) running on a Solaris 10 x86 (AMD) with a ZFS file system.

2) Database Server is Solaris 10 x86 (AMD) running postgres 8.2 with a
UFS file system.

3) The ear file consists of an Applet, a war file and an ejb jar.  All
have been built with Netbeans 7.1 using JDK 1.6.  The application run
environment is listed by Netbeans as EE 6.  There is something strange
in that the EE environment for the war file is listed by Netbeans as
J2EE 1.4.

4) This application has been running for years with the postgres
database on the same server as Glassfish.

5) When the database is remote the jndi lookup works but the
ds.connection(userid,password) fails.  The connection pool is setup with
an XADatasource and ping is successful.  Also, Netbeans can connect to
the remote database and so can pgAdmin.

6) The exception thrown is not an SQLException and I added some more
catch statements to try to unwind the exceptions.  See code and stack
trace attached.

7) The application is using EJB 2.1 technology with Bean Managed
Persistence which currently is our preferred approach.  The inability to
make the connection occurs in both servlets and entity beans.  The jndi
lookup works but the ds.connect does not.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Rich Rutkowski
Petra Systems