Re: Java 1.4

From: Vitalii Tymchyshyn <tivv00(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Java 1.4
Date: 2012-01-23 14:36:31
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

23.01.12 16:02, Dave Cramer написав(ла):
> More recently a patch has been presented with the subject NIO support.
> This patch in fact only provides an alternative implementation of
> setTimeout. The author has promised an NIO implementation later.
Small correction for everyone to understand it right: the patch does
contain NIO support for V3 non-secure connections. V2 and secure
requires extra work I am going to perform in the nearest time. I posted
to the list early because I simply wanted to get feedback as early as
possible.

Note that NIO itself do not provide any specific benefits (may be
performance?). What you get is much better control on IO, comparing to
using streaming. So, you can get timeout processing in same thread, you
can see when your buffers overflow and react accordingly, you can see
when your SSL data is available for reading.

As far as I can see, introducing NIO do not require global changes. The
tricky thing is handling read during write, but this is additional
feature NIO makes possible.

Best regards, Vitalii Tymchyshyn