Re: Force explicit transactions on insert / update

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Jesper Krogh" <jesper(at)krogh(dot)cc>,<pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Force explicit transactions on insert / update
Date: 2012-01-22 17:51:31
Lists: pgsql-admin
Jesper Krogh <jesper(at)krogh(dot)cc> wrote:

> Is there any way I can force explicit use of transactions on
> insert/updates?
>
> I do have users sitting on the system, that may forget to code it
> that way and it would be nice to be able to force the database to
> just kick them out if it didn't happen.

Not that I can think of, unless you pass the queries through some
proxy which enforces the rule.  Generally, a statement outside of an
explicit transaction block starts its own transaction for just that
statement, just as if the statement were wrapped in BEGIN/COMMIT.
You could maybe get glimpses of such statements by periodically
looking at pg_stat_activity for statements which have the same
timestamp for xact_start and query_start.

-Kevin