Re: Upgrading from 9.0.3 to latest

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "pgsql-admin" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Benjamin Krajmalnik" <kraj(at)servoyant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Upgrading from 9.0.3 to latest
Date: 2012-01-18 22:28:08
Lists: pgsql-admin
"Benjamin Krajmalnik" <kraj(at)servoyant(dot)com> wrote:
> I will be taking down all of our infrastructure to update firmware
> on the controllers due to a bug affecting BBU (wonderful J ).
> I was thinking of taking the opportunity and upgrading pg from
> 9.0.3 (amd64 on Freebsd 8.1) to the latest version 9.0.6.
That sounds like a good idea.
> In the release notes for 9.0.6, it mentions:
> fix bugs in information_schema.referential_constraints view (Tom
> Lane)
> Is the dropping and recreation of this mandatory,
If you don't do it, I don't think you're any worse off than you were
while at version 9.0.3; you will just not have fixed the view.
> can it be done at any time while the server is already being
> pounded with data?
I would tend to do it as part of the upgrade process.  I don't think
it take very long to run.  If you do it while queries are running,
you will get errors if any of them reference the information_schema
schema, they will get runtime errors on missing objects.
Probably more important is to make sure that you have considered
this issue, and taken action if necessary: