Re: PG synchronous replication and unresponsive slave

From: Manoj Govindassamy <manoj(at)nimblestorage(dot)com>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PG synchronous replication and unresponsive slave
Date: 2012-01-18 01:54:04
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-general

I am aware of pgpool-II and its features. Just that my requirements are
little different. I have a System (PG runs on it) which already has
Failover mechanism to another System and I want PG to be part of this
cluster and not clustered on its own. Mean, PG has to be running in
Master system and in synchronous replication mode with another slave
system, but the failover is driven from the higher level and not just on
PG's failure.

So, whenever PG's slave node is unresponsive, we better let the
replication cutoff and run the master system independently. So, we need
better mechanism to detect when Master PG's synchronous replication not
working as expected or when the slave PG is going unresponsive. If not,
master PG is held back by the slave PG and so the whole clustered system
is stuck. Hope, I am making some sense here. Let me know if there are
easy ways to detect Master PG's replication not working (via libpq would
be more preferable).

thanks,
Manoj