Re: PG synchronous replication and unresponsive slave

From: Manoj Govindassamy <manoj(at)nimblestorage(dot)com>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PG synchronous replication and unresponsive slave
Date: 2012-01-17 21:37:51
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-general

Thanks for your views.

(1) Will try out emptying synchronous_standby_names on replica failures
and verify if the transactions proceeds thru.

(2) We are not comfortable moving to PGPool just for automatic failback
mode on hot-standby failure. Any suggestions on how to build this
failback mechanism for master in PG9.1.2 ? We are using C interface for
PG. Any kind of health checking that we can do on the master to detect
the hot-standby problem and let master reload its config with empty
synchronous_standby_names ?

Any help is much appreciated.

thanks,
Manoj