CommitFest 2012-01 kick-off

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: CommitFest 2012-01 kick-off
Date: 2012-01-16 09:57:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Despite the best attempts of all my neighbors to distract me, as if
there was something more important going on Sunday afternoon in
Baltimore than preparing for the CommitFest, I've tried to get all the
loose patches onto the CommitFest app and get the early reviews
accounted for on there too. CF 2012-01 is now officially started.

We have 95 patches in this one, with 6 of those early getting an early
commit. This is not unprecedented. At this point last year, CF 2011-01
had 96 patches including 8 early commits, and eventually 69 of those
were committed. That committed its last and most contentious patch
(Sync Rep) on March 6th of 2011. Seems likely we're staring at about 6
weeks of last CF this year too.

The main difference to be aware of is that there's a less diversity in
authors this time. The nudging suggestion we make that every patch
submitter should review at least one patch has helped keep the reviewers
proportional to the submissions as they grow. The problem with this CF
is that there are only 39 authors involved, so even if every one of them
did two reviews that still wouldn't cut it. We've got two people who
where involved in submitting more than 10 patches (Simon and Peter
Eisentraut), three who submitted 5 or more (Noah, Robert Haas, and
myself), and several other multiple submitters. Keeping up with
feedback and revving your own patches while usefully reviewing other
people's as well is tough if you have more than one of each happening
all at once, and we have a lot of community members in that position
right now.

I personally am also concerned at the possible dependencies and coupling
with all the performance and performance instrumentation patches. I
count about 30 of those floating around, and 9.2 performance features
have certainly been stacking on each other usefully so far. So many
performance improvements that we may not be able to absorb them all at
once...there are worse problems to have.