Re: FreeBSD 9.0/amd64, PostgreSQL 9.1.2, pgbouncer 1.4.2: segmentation fault

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Dan Ports" <drkp(at)csail(dot)mit(dot)edu>, "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "Andrew Alcheyev" <buddy(at)telenet(dot)ru>
Cc: <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: FreeBSD 9.0/amd64, PostgreSQL 9.1.2, pgbouncer 1.4.2: segmentation fault
Date: 2012-01-11 15:26:48
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Andrew Alcheyev <buddy(at)telenet(dot)ru> wrote:

> Well, it does good and the backend hasn't crashed yet, but the
> client is still experiencing query problems at some point (not
> far, I guess, from where its backend would segfault without the
> patch). This time it encounters the following error from the
> backend:
>
> ERROR: out of shared memory
> HINT: You might need to increase max_pred_locks_per_transaction.

I noticed that you are using prepared transactions. Do you have any
lingering transactions prepared but not committed or rolled back?
(You can look in pg_prepared_xacts, and see when they were
prepared.)

> So what should I do? Do I need to increase
> "max_pred_locks_per_transaction" in postgresql.conf?

Maybe, but let's rule out other problems first.

> And how can I calculate desired value?

You would need to review pg_locks under load to get a handle on
that. I don't think anyone has devised any generalized formula yet,
but if we rule out other problems, I'd be happy to review your lock
situation and make suggestions.

-Kevin