Role Authority when running pgadmin3

From: "Jerrold \"Eric\" Thompson" <jet(at)whidbey(dot)com>
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Role Authority when running pgadmin3
Date: 2012-01-08 20:37:13
Lists: pgadmin-support
I am new to pgadmin3 and PostgreSQL.

I have set the system user 'jet' to be a superuser.

I have a database user 'videoworks', and a database videoworks.

When I start pgadmin3 from bash and logged in as 'jet', most of
the configuration tools are available to me on the videoworks
database, except Tools => Server Configuration.

At this point:
     Createdb
     Inherits
...are set to yes

     Superuser
     Create Roles
     Update catalogs

are set to no

  ...........for user videoworks

User 'jet' is set to yes for everything.

If I set the database user 'videoworks' as a superuser,
then restart the server, and restart pgadmin3 I am able to
use Tool => System Configuration

My question is: I thought it was a bad Idea to grant Superuser status to all
roles, but without doing so how am I able to use the

     TOOL => System Configuration

when I start pgadmin3 and I am logged in to the shell as 'jet'?

Here is my pg_hba.conf at this point:

# TYPE  DATABASE    USER        CIDR-ADDRESS          METHOD
local   all         postgres                        ident
local    all    jet    ident
local   all         all                         md5
# IPv4 local connections:
host    all         all         127.0.0.1/32          md5
# IPv6 local connections:
host    all         all         ::1/128               md5

Thank you,

    Jet

pgadmin-support by date

Next:From: =?iso-8859-1?B?Q3Jpc3RpYW4gSGVybuFuZGV6?=Date: 2012-01-08 21:42:45