Re: [patch] Improve documentation around FreeBSD Kernel Tuning

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Brad Davis <brd(at)FreeBSD(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [patch] Improve documentation around FreeBSD Kernel Tuning
Date: 2012-01-03 23:29:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 01/03/2012 06:15 PM, Brad Davis wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 03, 2012 at 05:02:57PM -0500, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>>
>> On 01/03/2012 04:49 PM, Brad Davis wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have a patch that improves the documentation for FreeBSD Kernel Tuning:
>>>
>>> - Show a # prompt instead of $ to indicate a root shell is needed
>>> - Remove the -w flag to sysctl since it is not needed anymore and just silently ignored
>>> - Encourage the user to set the read-only sysctls in /boot/loader.conf, instead of setting them manually in the loader.
>>>
>>> I have put these in a github fork of the repo, but I am new to git. So I apologize if this is incorrect.
>>>
>>> https://github.com/so14k/postgres/commit/12c03bdb2967346e7ad9ce0bdd3db8dfcf81507e
>>>

>> Instead of a URL, please just email us the diff as an attachment.
>> Normally we prefer these in context diff format, although it doesn't
>> matter so much for such a small patch.
> Sorry about that.. it is attached below.

But you didn't :-) You just cut and pasted it. And if you're not going
to send a context diff, it should be a unidiff such as git normally
produces. Since I didn't actually tell you that I've made a context diff
for you, and it's attached. I'll let someone with more FBSD-fu than me
actually comment on it.

cheers

andrew

Attachment Content-Type Size