Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: pg_regress: Replace exit_nicely() with exit() plus atexit() hook

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: pg_regress: Replace exit_nicely() with exit() plus atexit() hook
Date: 2012-01-02 22:27:35
Lists: pgsql-committerspgsql-hackers

> On mån, 2012-01-02 at 15:55 -0500, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>> On 01/02/2012 03:12 PM, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>>> pg_regress: Replace exit_nicely() with exit() plus atexit() hook
>>>
>> This appears to have broken the buildfarm.
> I think you mean it has caused the build to fail on some buildfarm
> members.  AFAICT, the buildfarm itself is still intact.

This is hardly the first use of this idiom.

> I think there is some room for improvement there:
>
> - Why is the isolation test not part of check-world/installcheck-world?

The buildfarm does not use the -world targets, for several reasons,
including:

  * they don't exist in all branches
  * they didn't exist when the script was written
  * doing so would reduce the ability to tell the script to miss certain
    steps on the command line
  * not all members are set up to build the docs

I'm a fan of the -world targets (I created them, after all), but they
aren't always appropriate.

> - Why do the Windows buildfarm members report the failure in "make" and
> the others in "isolationcheck"?  Shouldn't those build systems behave
> consistently?

The MSVC build system has always been a bit different. It builds
everything that needs to be compiled in the make step. If you want to
rewrite it, feel free, but this seems a fairly minor difference.

> - Could we get the buildfarm server to send out emails whenever a build
> fails?

This facility has been there for years (almost from day one of the
buildfarm, the archives go back to June 2005), and have been previously
mentioned here. There are four status mailing lists you can subscribe to
at <http://pgfoundry.org/mail/?group_id=1000040>.  They can be got in
both individual and digest forms. They correspond to the following:

  * all builds
  * build that fail
  * builds that have a different state from the last build
  * builds that cause a state change to or from the OK ('green') state.

cheers

andrew