Re: spinlocks on HP-UX

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>,<tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>,<manabu(dot)ori(at)gmailc(dot)com>, <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: spinlocks on HP-UX
Date: 2011-12-29 00:35:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane  wrote:

> a configure test only proves whether the build machine can deal
> with the flag, not whether the machine the executables will
> ultimately run on knows what the flag means.  We cannot assume that
> the build and execution boxes are the same.  (In general,
> AC_TRY_RUN tests are best avoided because of this.)

I understand why that is important in general, but as a shop which
builds from source, and is fine with a separate build for each
hardware model / OS version combination, it would be great if any
optimizations which are only available if you *do* assume that the
build machine and the run machine are the same (or at lease
identical) could be enabled with some configure switch.  Maybe
something like --enable-platform-specific-optimizations.

I don't know if any such possible optimizations currently exist, I'm
just saying that if any are identified, it would be nice to have the
option of using them.

-Kevin