Re: Moving more work outside WALInsertLock

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Moving more work outside WALInsertLock
Date: 2011-12-16 13:42:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 16.12.2011 15:03, Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 12:50 PM, Heikki Linnakangas
>> On 16.12.2011 14:37, Simon Riggs wrote:
>>>
>>> I already proposed a design for that using page-level share locks any
>>> reason not to go with that?
>>
>> Sorry, I must've missed that. Got a link?
>
> From nearly 4 years ago.
>
> http://grokbase.com/t/postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008/02/reworking-wal-locking/145qrhllcqeqlfzntvn7kjefijey

Ah, thanks. That is similar to what I'm experimenting, but a second
lwlock is still fairly heavy-weight. I think with many backends, you
will be beaten badly by contention on the spinlocks alone.

I'll polish up and post what I've been experimenting with, so we can
discuss that.

--
Heikki Linnakangas