Re: Fwd: PGadmin Schema/DDL VCS plugin ...

From: David Vaillancourt <david_v(at)sympatico(dot)ca>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Fwd: PGadmin Schema/DDL VCS plugin ...
Date: 2011-12-15 16:18:31
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

The changes to the plugin framework I intend to implement would keep the
existing functionality, but add to it also.
Please let me know if this is an avenue I should drop, as I will find an
alternative ... It do not want to work against the PGadmin team.

As for the workflow you describe to track Schema versions, this is the
way we do things right now.
So here are my questions:

* How do you manage incremental scripts numbering for multiple
developers working on the same DB Schema?

* Once a developer creates an incremental script, who/how do you modify
the original creating script to reflect these new changes (ex:
pemserver.sql)?

* If developer A has pending modifications but another developer B has
commited changes to the schema since, how does developer A make sure he
is not going to overwrite changes made by A? This especially problematic
for stored procedures code that is modified by developers (for us anyways)

I am genuinely interested by your answers, since it may well be that we
adopt your workflow if it improves ours.

Cheers!