Re: Fwd: PGadmin Schema/DDL VCS plugin ...

From: David Vaillancourt <david_v(at)sympatico(dot)ca>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Fwd: PGadmin Schema/DDL VCS plugin ...
Date: 2011-12-15 15:36:33
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Dave,

Thanks for the quick feedback. I'm really surprised that people who use
VCS for their 'normal' code, wouldn't see a use for the same when it
comes to DB Schema/DDL versions.
In any case, my goal is not to add the functionality directly to
PGAdmin, but rather create a plugin for PGadmin to use.

As I mentionned earlier, the extent of the modifications to PGadmin
would be to extend the plugin framework to allow a tighter coupling
between plugins and PGadmin.
I guess maintaining a plugin is different from maintaining yet another
feature in the existing PGAdmin code, correct me if i'm wrong.

Finally, since no one wanted to use the VCS feature in PGadmin, what do
teams of developers use to track versions of Schemas (Tables, Views,
Procedures...)?
Do most developers simply not use any? Or do the 'hack' their own? I'd
be surprised if they used proprietary tools ...