autoincrement question

From: Jack Albright <jack(at)mobiusnm(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: autoincrement question
Date: 2008-01-07 20:57:50
Lists: pgsql-novice

I'm new to the list and new to postgreSQL.
I usually work in mySQL.
I'm using NaviCat to manipulate my postgreSQL db.

QUESTION:
What is the best way for a novice like me to make my primary key ID
column auto-increment? It is a basic integer column.

Also, do I need to set a default value for my primary keys?

In MySQL (using phpMyAdmin) it's a simple matter of checking a
checkbox. What is the recommended way to do this in postgres?

Thanks,

Jack Albright
jack(at)mobiusnm(dot)com