Re: autovacuum and default_transaction_isolation

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Dan Ports" <drkp(at)csail(dot)mit(dot)edu>,"Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: autovacuum and default_transaction_isolation
Date: 2011-11-30 00:33:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Shouldn't we make the autovac launcher use READ COMMITTED, too?

Anything which starts a transaction and doesn't need to use a
transaction-lifetime snapshot plus SIRead locks to achieve truly
serializable behavior should probably be ignoring
default_transaction_isolation and forcing READ COMMITTED.  I would
think that should include the autovac launcher.  Probably *any* of
the background processes which can get a start a transaction should
force READ COMMITTED.

-Kevin