Re: Abount max_stack_depth's default value

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Naoya Anzai <anzai-naoya(at)mxu(dot)nes(dot)nec(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org, Akio Iwaasa <iwaasa(at)mxs(dot)nes(dot)nec(dot)co(dot)jp>
Subject: Re: Abount max_stack_depth's default value
Date: 2011-11-24 20:30:16
Lists: pgsql-docs
On 24.11.2011 11:53, Naoya Anzai wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/interactive/runtime-config-resource.html#RUNTIME-CONFIG-RESOURCE-MEMORY
> max_stack_depth's default setting was wrote it is two megabytes. But,I think that this explanation is not true.
> In my environment, When "`ulimit -s` - 512KB" value is less than 2MB, this value is set up as a default value.
> And I also notice that If "ulimit -s" value is "unlimited", then "100KB" is set up on the PostgreSQL 9.0 and less.
> So,I think that you should write that max_stack_depth's default setting depends on stack size when it is less than 2.5MB,
> and "100KB" is set up on the PostgreSQL 9.0 and less when stack size is unlimited.

Well, the doc section does say:

"On platforms where PostgreSQL can determine the kernel limit, the
server will not allow this variable to be set to an unsafe value. "

though I agree it's a bit vague. It doesn't explicitly say that on such
platforms, the default value will be chosen automatically. Want to
suggest how to phrase that section in the docs?

--
   Heikki Linnakangas