Re: [JDBC] Optimize postgres protocol for fixed size arrays

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>,<tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>,<mikko(dot)tiihonen(at)nitorcreations(dot)com>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [JDBC] Optimize postgres protocol for fixed size arrays
Date: 2011-11-24 00:36:02
Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-jdbc
Oliver Jowett  wrote:

> Can we get a mechanism for minor protocol changes in this future
> version? Something as simple as exchanging a list of protocol
> features during the initial handshake (then use only features that
> are present on both sides) would be enough. The difficulty of
> making any protocol changes at the moment is a big stumbling block.

I've been thinking the same thing.  Any new protocol should include a
way for each side to publish a list of what it can accept from the
other during initial handshaking.

> (You could probably retrofit that to the current protocol version)

Perhaps.  It would be great if both sides could recognize the case
where the "feature negotiation" was absent and use a default feature
list for the protocol available on the other end.

-Kevin

Next:From: Theo SchlossnagleDate: 2011-11-24 02:28:06