Re: What's the state of postgresql on ext4 now?

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Aidan Van Dyk <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: What's the state of postgresql on ext4 now?
Date: 2011-11-16 06:51:15
Lists: pgsql-performance
On 11/15/2011 10:54 PM, Aidan Van Dyk wrote:
> are you getting to the point of migrating large XFS filesystems to
> ext4 for production databases yet?  Or at least using ext4 in new
> large-scale filesystems for PG?

Not really.  Last time I checked (a few months ago), there were still
some scary looking bugs in ext4 that concerned me, and I've seen one
difficult to explain bit of corruption on it.  Lots of these bugs had
been fixed in the mainline Linux kernel, but I wasn't sure they'd all
been backported to the sort of distributions my customers run.  I expect
to re-evaluate RHEL6 to see how it's doing soon, just haven't had
time/requests for it.