STRICT SQL functions never inline

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: STRICT SQL functions never inline
Date: 2011-11-08 23:29:03
Lists: pgsql-performance
Folks,

After having some production issues, I did some testing and it seems
that any SQL function declared STRICT will never inline.  As a result,
it won't work with either indexes (on the underlying predicate) or
partitioning.

This seems like a horrible gotcha for our users.  At the very least I'd
like to document it (in CREATE FUNCTION, presumably), but it would be
better to fix it.  Thoughts?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.