Re: foreign key locks, 2nd attempt

From: Jeroen Vermeulen <jtv(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: foreign key locks, 2nd attempt
Date: 2011-11-06 07:28:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2011-11-04 01:12, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> I would like some opinions on the ideas on this patch, and on the patch
> itself. If someone wants more discussion on implementation details of
> each part of the patch, I'm happy to provide a textual description --
> please just ask.

Jumping in a bit late here, but thanks for working on this: it looks
like it could solve some annoying problems for us.

I do find myself idly wondering if those problems couldn't be made to go
away more simply given some kind of “I will never ever update this key”
constraint. I'm having trouble picturing the possible lock interactions
as it is. :-)

Jeroen