Re: BUG #6281: need to remove

From: Craig Ringer <ringerc(at)ringerc(dot)id(dot)au>
To: "Jim Jackson (817) 233-2385" <jimjackson(at)judgefite(dot)com>
Cc: 'Robert Haas' <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, 'Kevin Grittner' <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #6281: need to remove
Date: 2011-11-05 03:44:30
Lists: pgsql-bugs
On 11/05/2011 04:09 AM, Jim Jackson (817) 233-2385 wrote:
> If I were to reload postgreSQL would it over ride the current software on my
> PC and allow proper access to the files inside the postgre directory?

That's pretty unlikely. As you've already been told, the PostgreSQL
installer doesn't change permissions for anything except the data directory.

I guess if you put the datadir in your C:\Users\myname\Local Settings
folder it could *add* access to that folder for the "postgres" user.
It'd never remove access during installation, though, nor would it ever
add or remove permissions for your normal user account.

The first thing to do is fix your system's access permissions, anyway.
Rather than assuming PostgreSQL broke them so PostgreSQL has to fix
them, try fixing them yourself. Get properties on the Local Settings
folder and in the Security tab add yourself with "full control" then
apply the change to that folder and all folders within it. Apply the
same procedure to any other folders you lack access to.

Alternately, if you'd prefer you can do this en-masse on the command
line. See:

http://lallousx86.wordpress.com/2009/06/14/resetting-ntfs-files-security-and-permission-in-windows-7/

(I have not tested this and cannot verify that it is safe to do on a
Windows drive with a C:\Windows and C:\Program Files directory. Use at
your own risk.).

As for PostgreSQL's involvement: Because there's both poker tracker /
holdem and Pg involved, it's hard to know what happened. You haven't
explained whether you got PostgreSQL from postgresql.org or from the
poker tracker people. You haven't confirmed whether it's a standard
PostgreSQL installer made by EnterpriseDB or whether it's some
different, custom installer made by the poker tracker people. Without
that, helping you is nearly impossible.

If you can find the installer file for the version of PostgreSQL you
installed and can report its file name and file size along with (if
possible) where you downloaded it from, that might help.

--
Craig Ringer