Re: BUG #6281: need to remove

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Jim Jackson (817) 233-2385" <jimjackson(at)judgefite(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "'Craig Ringer'" <ringerc(at)ringerc(dot)id(dot)au>
Subject: Re: BUG #6281: need to remove
Date: 2011-11-04 20:59:22
Lists: pgsql-bugs

"Jim Jackson (817) 233-2385" <jimjackson(at)judgefite(dot)com> wrote:

> Does any of that help determine how to get rid of it?

It appears that they copied some documentation to your hard drive.
I imagine those pages look something like these:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/release.html

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/index.html

I imagine that they also copied in software that people on this list
have developed as well as software of their own. None of that
really provides any clue about why they would have done anything to
lock down certain directories or how they did it. If the people
that supplied the installer aren't responding, you could probably
engage consultants who could dig through your registry and clean
things up.

To describe how the people on this list fit into the situation, we
provide a tool -- the PostgreSQL database -- which others can use
for whatever they want. Let's compare that to a television set.
Someone else put together some sort of black box with one of those
television sets, to provide certain programming. By running their
installer, you invited them into your living room to build one of
those boxes with our TV in it. We've never seen their programming
and know nothing about their box or how they bolt it into your
house. Now you want it out of your house and you can't cut through
their bolts. Just because they locked one of our TVs in the box
doesn't mean we know anything about how to get the box out of your
house.

You either need to call the folks who put in the black box about how
to take it out, or hire someone who has the tools and knowledge to
do it.

-Kevin