Re: Is there a good reason we don't have INTERVAL 'infinity'?

From: Brar Piening <brar(at)gmx(dot)de>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Is there a good reason we don't have INTERVAL 'infinity'?
Date: 2011-11-02 05:35:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Josh Berkus wrote:
> Hackers,
>
> Is there a reason why INTERVAL 'infinity' is not implemented? That is,
> an interval which is larger than all defined intervals, and which added
> to any timestamp turns it into 'infinity'.
>
> Or is it just Round TUITs?

Probably the latter.
There is even a function |isfinite(interval)| which doesn't seem to do
anything useful.
See complaint in
http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/200101241913.f0OJDUu45423@hub.org
Although the operation used in this complaint isn't obviously defined
there certainly are operations that are defined like infinity + infinity
= infinity.
See http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unendlichkeit#Analysis
(Sorry for linking the german wikipedia - the english text is ways less
verbose on this.)

Regards,

Brar