Re: pgsql_fdw, FDW for PostgreSQL server

From: Shigeru Hanada <shigeru(dot)hanada(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Kohei KaiGai <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgsql_fdw, FDW for PostgreSQL server
Date: 2011-10-28 13:51:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers
(2011/10/26 23:57), Kohei KaiGai wrote:
> 2011/10/26 Robert Haas<robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>:
>> I agree.  pgsql_fdw will be a nice feature, but there's no reason to
>> think that everyone will want it installed by default, and there are
>> some security reasons to think that they might not.  On the flip side,
>> pushing it out of contrib and onto pgfoundry or whatever makes it
>> unnecessarily difficult to install, and not as many people will
>> benefit from it.  So contrib seems exactly right to me.
>>
> I also agree. The pgsql_fdw will be worthful to locate in the main tree
> as a contrib module. It will give us clear opportunity to test new
> features of FDW using RDBMS characteristics; such as join-push-down.
> However, it should be a separated discussion whether it shall be installed
> by the default.

There seems to be some approvals on pushing pgsql_fdw into main tree
(contrib or core extension, or something else), but not an external
module.  There are still some debatable issues, but they would be
meaningless unless pgsql_fdw is qualified for a contrib module.  So I'd
like to continue the development of pgsql_fdw as contrib module, at
least for a while.

Please find attached a patch for pgsql_fdw.  This patch needs first two
patches attached to OP[1] to be applied.  (Sorry. gathering patches from
another post must be bothersome work.  Should I create new CF items for
fundamental patches?)

[1] http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2011-10/msg01329.php

Changes done since last post are:
* add colname FDW option support
* allow some libpq options (authtype and tty) to be specified as server
FDW options

--
Shigeru Hanada

  * ポルトガル語 - 自動検出