Re: Server hitting 100% CPU usage, system comes to a crawl.

From: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Server hitting 100% CPU usage, system comes to a crawl.
Date: 2011-10-27 19:43:00
Lists: pgsql-general

On 10/27/11 11:39 AM, Brian Fehrle wrote:

> I've got a system that has 32 cores and 128 gigs of ram. We have
> connection pooling set up, with about 100 - 200 persistent connections
> open to the database. Our applications then use these connections to
> query the database constantly, but when a connection isn't currently
> executing a query, it's <IDLE>. On average, at any given time, there
> are 3 - 6 connections that are actually executing a query, while the
> rest are <IDLE>.

thats not a very effective use of pooling. the pooling model, you'd
have a connection pool sufficient actual database connections to satisfy
your concurrency requirements, and your apps would grab a connection
from the pool, do a transaction, then release the connection back to the
pool.

now, I don't know that this has anything to do with your performance
problem, I'm just pointing out this anomaly. a pool doesn't do much
good if the clients grab a connection and just sit on it.

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast