Re: What could lock up pg_stat_activity

From: Marcus Engene <mengpg2(at)engene(dot)se>
To: PGSQL-Novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: What could lock up pg_stat_activity
Date: 2011-10-25 14:15:51
Lists: pgsql-novice

On 10/14/11 6:19 , Steve Crawford wrote:
> On 10/14/2011 08:07 AM, Marcus Engene wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a site with reasonable # of page loads. I log slow selects so
>> I can get panic later. Today I had a 12s period where things stood
>> still.
>>
>> As an overload precaution, for each page I...
>> select count(*) as nbr from pg_stat_activity where current_query <>
>> '<IDLE>'
>> ...to see that not too much is torturing the db. But (roughly) 1/3 of
>> the entries was this test above. What could possibly make a count()
>> on pg_stat_activity take 12s? Please speculate wildly.
>>
>> Setup:
>> Contemporary Debian
>> 72GB
>> 4x1TB RAID6
>> 2x100GB RAID1 SSD
>> pgbouncer
>> private local network
>> pg 9.0.4
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Marcus
>>

> A bit more info is in order. Is the database handling lots of writes
> or mostly simple reads? How much of the database is typically touched?
> How big is the database? What data is on the spinning media vs. the
> SSD? Do you have battery-backed write-cache? How big is it?
>
> There are lots of situations with large RAM sizes where the OS allows
> so much data to be cached that when a flush to disk occurs, everything
> halts till the data is written.
>
> If you don't have Greg Smith's "PostgreSQL 9.0 High Performance", go
> buy it.
>
> You may find this recent thread interesting, not for the solution but
> for the discussion:
> http://postgresql.1045698.n5.nabble.com/Adding-more-memory-hugh-cpu-load-td4888181.html#a4888530
>

> Cheers,
> Steve

Hi Steve,

It indeed seems to be /proc/sys/vm/dirty_bytes and
dirty_background_bytes that were the culput.

I think it's when I dump or gzip large files that I provoke this
locking. I am however confused as to why pg_stat_activity found it
necessary to lock itself just because postgres had a pending fsync.

I have both Greg Smiths excellent High Performance book and the other
admin book from Packt.

Thanks for the answer!

Best regards,
Marcus