Re: Choosing between Intel 320, Intel 510 or OCZ Vertex 3 SSD for db server

From: David Boreham <david_list(at)boreham(dot)org>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Choosing between Intel 320, Intel 510 or OCZ Vertex 3 SSD for db server
Date: 2011-10-24 16:53:34
Lists: pgsql-performance
A few quick thoughts:

1. 320 would be the only SSD I'd trust from your short-list. It's the
only one with proper protection from unexpected power loss.
2. Multiple RAID'ed SSDs sounds like (vast) overkill for your workload.
A single SSD should be sufficient (will get you several thousand TPS on
pgbench for your DB size).
3. Consider not using the magnetic disks at all (saves on space, power
and the cost of the RAID controller for them).
4. Consider using Intel 710 series rather than 320 (pay for them with
the money saved from #3 above). Those devices have much, much higher
specified endurance than the 320s and since your DB is quite small you
only need to buy one of them.