Re: database file encryption.

From: nrdb <postgresql(at)butterflystitches(dot)com(dot)au>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: postgresql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: database file encryption.
Date: 2011-10-23 01:37:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 10/23/2011 06:39 AM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> On 10/22/2011 11:39 AM, nrdb wrote:
>
>>> Are you willing to submit a patch for people to review? I am not sure
>>> if the community would want this as backend code or not but it is
>>> definitely something to discuss.
>>>

>> Yes! but I don't know what the procedure is to do that.
>
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Submitting_a_Patch

I will submit the patch in a few days when I have cleaned it up some
more. Basically it patches the FileRead() and FileWrite() in fd.c to
do the encryption and decryption.

>>> Others might have different ideas.
>>
>> I thought one way would be to pass the name of a named pipe in with a
>> command argument and then have some program that asks the user for the
>> password and writes it to the named pipe.
>
> Any patch you submit will be subject to quite a bit of discussion so
> be prepared for that. Also it will have to be portable to Windows.

I have no idea on making it portable to Windows, I very rarely use it
and know nothing about coding on it. The only problem will be in the
actual encryption/decryption functions, and the key setup.