Re: An article about Etsy... and a migration from Postgres to MySQL

From: Ned Lilly <ned(at)xtuple(dot)com>
To: Joshua Kramer <josh(at)globalherald(dot)net>
Cc: Selena Deckelmann <selena(at)chesnok(dot)com>, pgsql-advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: An article about Etsy... and a migration from Postgres to MySQL
Date: 2011-10-06 17:41:37
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Hi Josh,

We've got installations with hundreds of concurrent heads-down users
doing very transaction-intensive things, with very high volumes of
human-entered Sales Orders (thousands a day), machine-managed EDI
(thousands of invoices, shipping notices, purchase orders, etc.), and
tens of thousands of complex general ledger transactions a day,
including serial or lot-controlled inventory movement across multiple
locations. Some users have millions of SKUs, hundreds of thousands of
contacts and accounts (customers, vendors, etc) in the CRM subsystem, etc.

To the best of my knowledge, we have never had performance problems
caused by PostgreSQL or our use of stored procedures to handle the
business logic. When we do have issues, they are easily addressed by
adding indexes or fixing inefficiences in what client-side code we do
still have. Happily, living in the open source world, those issues are
typically brought to our attention (and solved) rather quickly :)

Cheers,
Ned

--
Ned Lilly