Re: Displaying accumulated autovacuum cost

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Displaying accumulated autovacuum cost
Date: 2011-10-05 07:02:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 09/29/2011 10:40 AM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> I reviewed this patch. My question for you is: does it make sense to
> enable to reporting of write rate even when vacuum cost accounting is
> enabled? In my opinion it would be useful to do so. If you agree,
> please submit an updated patch.

Presumably you meant to ask if this makes sense to show when cost
accounting isn't enabled, because the code doesn't do that right now.
No cost accounting, no buffer usage/write rate data as this was submitted.

Looks like making this work even in cases where cost accounting isn't on
will make the patch a bit larger obtrusive, but it's not unreasonable.
Now that you mention it, people who do a manual, full-speed VACUUM would
certainly appreciate some feedback on the rate it ran at. I'll include
that in the next update.