Remastering using streaming only replication?

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Remastering using streaming only replication?
Date: 2011-09-21 16:52:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Fujii,

I haven't really been following your latest patches about taking backups
from the standby and cascading replication, but I wanted to see if it
fulfills another TODO: the ability to "remaster" (that is, designate the
"lead standby" as the new master) without needing to copy WAL files.

Supporting remastering using steaming replication only was on your TODO
list when we closed 9.1. It seems like this would get solved as a
side-effect, but I wanted to confirm that.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.