Re: BUG #5800: "corrupted" error messages (encoding problem ?)

From: Craig Ringer <ringerc(at)ringerc(dot)id(dot)au>
To: Carlo Curatolo <genamiga(at)brutele(dot)be>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5800: "corrupted" error messages (encoding problem ?)
Date: 2011-09-17 00:18:31
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On 09/17/2011 05:10 AM, Carlo Curatolo wrote:
> Just tried with PG 9.1...same problem...
Yep. There appears to be no interest in fixing this bug. All the
alternatives I proposed were rejected, and there doesn't seem to be any
concern about the issue. I'd be willing to have a go at the issue if
there some indication that a patch might be considered, but if I don't
have an approach that might even be considered for inclusion there isn't
much point.

There are several sources of differently-encoded text that may appear in
logs. These are often set to the same encoding, but need not necessarily
be. The only valid fixes are to log them to different files (with some
way to identify which encoding is used) or convert them all to a single
standard encoding - probably UTF-8 - for logging. When syslog is used,
encoding conversion is the only valid answer.

--
Craig Ringer