Re: Is there really no interest in SQL Standard?

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Susanne Ebrecht <susanne(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Is there really no interest in SQL Standard?
Date: 2011-09-16 06:49:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On 16.09.2011 09:24, Susanne Ebrecht wrote:
> The next ISO meeting will be soon - and of course there are lots of
> drafts that needs
> decisions.
>
> I am not allowed to share the drafts in public. Because the drafts are
> confidential.

I think that's a big part of the problem. It's hard to get excited about
something if you don't know what's happening.

> But I am allowed to share the drafts with the group of ppl who are
> supporting me.
> Of course I am allowed to discuss the drafts with my folk before I will
> give my votes and comments.

Even if you can't share drafts, would it be possible to give a summary
of things that are being discussed in the committee? That way if there's
people in the community with interests in particular topics, they could
contact you and get involved.

> Isn't it possible to create a closed mailing list - a list that won't
> get published - on which
> I can discuss SQL Standard stuff with the folk who wants to support me?

I could join such a mailing list if you create one, but it would
probably be better if specific topics could be discussed on
pgsql-hackers. Perhaps this is something you should bring up in the
committee. I understand that the committee doesn't want to open its work
to the whole world, but I also don't see why work-in-progress features
couldn't be discussed in the public.

FWIW, I'm very glad you're on the committee! Even though I have no idea
what's going on there, it gives me a warm feeling that there's someone
on the committee who knows PostgreSQL. If someone proposes something
that would hurt PostgreSQL, like syntax that we already use for
something else, I know you're going to speak up.

--
   Heikki Linnakangas