Re: SQL confusion

From: Thomas F(dot)O'Connell <tfo(at)sitening(dot)com>
To: Andrew Ward <adward555(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SQL confusion
Date: 2004-10-12 17:01:06
Lists: pgsql-sql

This is untested, but it might be enough to get you started:

SELECT namecounter
FROM name n
WHERE NOT EXISTS (
SELECT 1
FROM name
WHERE hh > 0
AND famnu = n.famnu
)
GROUP BY famnu
HAVING birthdate = min( birthdate );

What I'm trying to do here is grab all families that don't have a head
of household, group them by family, and get only the namecounter
corresponding to the minimum birthdate for that family.

If I recall, I've had some trouble using HAVING with min/max in ways
that seem intuitive to me, but this might help get you started.

-tfo