Re: regress test failed

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: regress test failed
Date: 2011-09-04 16:06:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 09/04/2011 11:31 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Andrew Dunstan<andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>  writes:
>> Well, I don't think we are obliged to cater for locales that break ASCII
>> ordering.
> The logical conclusion of that position is that there's no need to make
> the regression tests pass in any other locale than C.  Which is not the
> project policy, and we (including you, with your buildfarm hat on) have
> expended plenty of sweat in support of that.

I thought that was more about things like letters with diacritical
marks, Turkish i and so on. But I stand corrected.

> I think the real question that needs to be asked here is why there's not
> a buildfarm member running the tests in Czech locale.  And maybe some
> of the other ones that have been problematic in the past.  We should not
> have to wait for random reports to find out about this.

Maybe we need a few members that test a large number of locales. (Anyone
feel like donating resources? I'm currently providing resources for
seven, which I think is sufficient :-) )

Or a few volunteers from among existing members that can test lots of
locales. (My f14 box has 245 utf8 locales, 181 non-utf8 locales and 308
that don't specify an encoding.

Or I could make the client get a list of available locales/encodings and
then test a number of them each run cyclically.

cheers

andrew