Re: postgresql.conf archive_command example

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Dimitri Fontaine" <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>
Cc: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>,"Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: postgresql.conf archive_command example
Date: 2011-09-02 20:10:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr> wrote:

> I think the solution to that problem is to provide a default
> archive command that just does the very simple thing, namely
> moving the WAL file to some place given as parameter.  Some
> *local* mount point.

I think we've been mostly in agreement, but I have a few quibbles or
clarifications to that:

(1)  We're talking about a new /bin executable to do this which
could be referenced in an archive_command string or run from a
script called by archive_command, right?

(2)  It should copy, not move, with protection against overwriting
an existing file.

(3)  Maybe not in the initial version, but eventually it might be
nice to support URLs of some known protocols in addition to local
directories.

(4)  Maybe not in the initial version, but eventually it might be
nice to support checking for an "owner" file of some sort in the
target directory, to help sort out problems with copied databases
writing to the same location as the source.

-Kevin