Re: Known problem? Column mixup in sql-function

From: Andreas <maps(dot)on(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Known problem? Column mixup in sql-function
Date: 2011-08-30 03:53:51
Lists: pgsql-novice
Am 29.08.2011 18:10, schrieb Tom Lane:
> Andreas<maps(dot)on(at)gmx(dot)net>  writes:
>> This works nicely with a PG 8.4.8 on Windows but fails with a PG 8.4.0
>> on openSuse 11.1.
> Well, without a concrete test case it's hard to say, but certainly there
> have been a lot of bugs fixed between 8.4.0 and 8.4.8.
>
> If I had to bet based on the small amount of information you've shown
> us, I'd wonder whether the projects table has had any columns dropped
> from it.  If this is related to one of the dropped-column bugs we've
> fixed, you could presumably work around it by dropping and recreating
> the projects table.  But updating to 8.4.current would be a much better
> idea.

This table was one of the first in the db and got added columns and
dropped, too.
The 8.4.0 was part of the distribution and they keep the version.
I'm a wee bit worried to manually upgrade since the OS release is out of
service for some time and I can't physically get to the box, yet. But
there is a new setup coming soon Then with 9.0.3 AFAIK. So there is hope.

I can't drop the table b/c there are a number of references.
Would a backup & restore of the db cure those lurking issues even with
8.4.0?
The thing is running over a year I'd say without a restore but daily
vacuum analyse.

Thanks for your reply.  :)