Re: Help me improve the 9.1 release draft

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Help me improve the 9.1 release draft
Date: 2011-08-26 06:51:02
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On 08/24/2011 08:00 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Here's a considerably expanded and improved 9.1 release:
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/91releasedraft

This is looking good now, I just did a round of carefully polishing the
short version, details e-mailed. The longer version had less things I
wanted to adjust.

One last minute idea, not sure how close you are to the target length
for this e-mail. If there's some space left, I think it would be nice
to mention PostGIS here. We could trot that out to show that the
extensions model enhanced by 9.1 is both powerful and mature. Pointing
out that you can turn PostgreSQL into a spatial database with an
extension really makes that obvious.

Here's some new text to try and capture this, my idea would be to beef
up either the intro or end of the "Extending the Database Engine" section.

PostgreSQL's powerful extensibility features have always enabled feature
development on top of the core database. The PostGIS project is a
successful example, adding industry leading spatial data capabilities to
PostgreSQL. The new Extensions feature makes it easier than ever to
build new features into the database with this proven approach.