Re: Reports from SSD purgatory

From: David Boreham <david_list(at)boreham(dot)org>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Reports from SSD purgatory
Date: 2011-08-24 19:43:00
Lists: pgsql-performance
On 8/24/2011 1:32 PM, Tomas Vondra wrote:
> Why is that important? It's simply a failure of electronics and it has
> nothing to do with the wear limits. It simply fails without prior
> warning from the SMART.

In the cited article (actually in all articles I've read on this
subject), the failures were not properly analyzed*.
Therefore the conclusion that the failures were of electronics
components is invalid.
In the most recent article, people have pointed to it as confirming
electronics failures
but the article actually states that the majority of failures were
suspected to be
firmware-related.

We know that a) there have been failures, but b) not the cause.

We don't even know for sure that the cause was not cell wear.
That's because all we know is that the drives did not report
wear before failing. The wear reporting mechanism could be broken for
all we know.

--
*A "proper" analysis would involve either the original manufacturer's FA
lab, or a qualified independent analysis lab.