Re: How to track number of connections and hosts to Postgres cluster

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to track number of connections and hosts to Postgres cluster
Date: 2011-08-24 15:33:22
Lists: pgsql-performance

On 08/24/2011 07:07 AM, Venkat Balaji wrote:
> But, if put log_connections to on and log_disconnections to on
> wouldn't the Postgres be logging in lot of data ?
> Will this not be IO intensive ? I understand that this is the best
> way, but, would want to know if there is an other way to reduce IO (
> may be through queries to catalog tables ).

Your requirements include: " I need all the host IPs making a
connection to Postgres Cluster (even for a fraction of second)."

The only way to do this is to log every connection. Any other approach
for grabbing the data, such as looking at pg_stat_activity, will
sometimes miss one.

If you're willing to lose a connection sometimes, a cron job that polls
pg_stat_activity and saves a summary of what it finds will normally use
less resources. But connections that start and end between runs will be
missed.