Re: settings input for upgrade

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Midge Brown <midgems(at)sbcglobal(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: settings input for upgrade
Date: 2011-08-22 16:53:00
Lists: pgsql-performance
On 08/22/2011 12:48 PM, Midge Brown wrote:
> I was pushed to put the new version into production over the weekend,
> which at least may provide me with some accurate feedback, and so will
> see what happens for a bit before addressing the disk/drive layout.

The good news is that deploying onto the split up configuration will
give you lots of data to collect about just how the load is split up
over the various parts of the database.  You can just monitor which
drives the I/O goes to.  If there are some that are really underused,
and can arrange downtime and disk space to merge them together in the
future, that may be an option for improving performance one day.