Re: help in postgresql

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Karuna Karpe" <karuna(dot)karpe(at)os3infotech(dot)com>, <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: help in postgresql
Date: 2011-08-22 15:17:57
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-general

Karuna Karpe <karuna(dot)karpe(at)os3infotech(dot)com> wrote:

> Is postgresql store huge amount of data like oracle?

It's generally easier to respond to more specific questions. What
is "huge"? Our shop has a database of over 2 TB backing this web
site:

http://wcca.wicourts.gov/

I know there are PostgreSQL databases much larger than that.

> why use postgresql?

It has a lot of features not present in any other database product.
Performance is very good and steadily improving. In my opinion it
is the most stable and reliable database product available. Support
for PostgreSQL easily beats support I've seen for any other product.

> How the postgresql is beneficial then oracle and other databases?

When we moved to PostgreSQL it saved us a lot of money every year in
support and license fees, while improving up-time and simplifying
backup and maintenance procedures.

> Please help me to being familiar with postgresql.

I recommend you download a copy and try it out. Don't be shy about
asking questions, but remember to provide enough context and detail
that people can provide useful responses without having to guess too
much.

-Kevin