Re: Raid 5 vs Raid 10 Benchmarks Using bonnie++

From: Gary Doades <gpd(at)gpdnet(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Raid 5 vs Raid 10 Benchmarks Using bonnie++
Date: 2011-08-17 18:33:13
Lists: pgsql-performance
On 17/08/2011 7:26 PM, Ogden wrote:
> I am using bonnie++ to benchmark our current Postgres system (on RAID
> 5) with the new one we have, which I have configured with RAID 10. The
> drives are the same (SAS 15K). I tried the new system with ext3 and
> then XFS but the results seem really outrageous as compared to the
> current system, or am I reading things wrong?
>
> The benchmark results are here:
>
> http://malekkoheavyindustry.com/benchmark.html

The results are not completely outrageous, however you don't say what
drives, how many and what RAID controller you have in the current and
new systems. You might expect that performance from 10/12 disks in RAID
10 with a good controller. I would say that your current system is
outrageous in that is is so slow!

Cheers,
Gary.