Re: what is the usual approach to maintaining development, production and test environments?

From: Mathieu Dubois <mathieu(dot)dubois(at)limsi(dot)fr>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: what is the usual approach to maintaining development, production and test environments?
Date: 2011-08-16 20:03:41
Lists: pgsql-novice
Hello,

Le 15/08/2011 13:19, Lille Penguini a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I'm developing a web application and would like to apply changes to
> schema structure from one environment -- call it 'development' -- easily
> to others -- 'test' and 'production'. What are the key terms/resources I
> could consult that would guide me to synchronizing structure like this
> in PostgreSQL?

I'm far from being an expert but what I do in such situation is simply
to backup your development environment (after you made your changes and
insert the data), and restore the production environment from this backup.

If you have a large database and need high availability this may not be
the right option.