Reports from SSD purgatory

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Reports from SSD purgatory
Date: 2011-08-15 23:49:52
Lists: pgsql-performance
News update for anyone else who's trapped like me, waiting for a fix to
the Intel 320 SSD bug where they can truncate themselves to 8MB.  Over
the weekend Intel has announced a firmware fix for the problem is done,
and is due to ship "within the next two weeks":
http://communities.intel.com/thread/24121

On the larger SSD reliability front, Tom's Hardware surveyed heavy SSD
users they're friendly with who use Intel drives.  The most interesting
data came from Softlayer:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-reliability-failure-rate,2923-6.html

This supports two claims I made before based on my private data that
were controversial:

-Annualized SSD failure rates are not significantly lower than
traditional drives in the first couple of years.  Jury is still out on
whether they will spike upwards starting at 3 years as mechanical ones do.

-The most common source of dead drives is sudden, catastrophic
electronics failure.  These are not predicted by SMART, and have nothing
to do with hitting the drive's wear limits.

pgsql-performance by date

Next:From: David BorehamDate: 2011-08-16 04:13:51