Reports from SSD purgatory

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Reports from SSD purgatory
Date: 2011-08-15 23:49:52
Lists: pgsql-performance
News update for anyone else who's trapped like me, waiting for a fix to
the Intel 320 SSD bug where they can truncate themselves to 8MB.  Over
the weekend Intel has announced a firmware fix for the problem is done,
and is due to ship "within the next two weeks":

On the larger SSD reliability front, Tom's Hardware surveyed heavy SSD
users they're friendly with who use Intel drives.  The most interesting
data came from Softlayer:,2923-6.html

This supports two claims I made before based on my private data that
were controversial:

-Annualized SSD failure rates are not significantly lower than
traditional drives in the first couple of years.  Jury is still out on
whether they will spike upwards starting at 3 years as mechanical ones do.

-The most common source of dead drives is sudden, catastrophic
electronics failure.  These are not predicted by SMART, and have nothing
to do with hitting the drive's wear limits.

PostgreSQL Training, Services, and 24x7 Support

pgsql-performance by date

Next:From: David BorehamDate: 2011-08-16 04:13:51