Re: replication from Oracle to PostgreSQL?

From: CS DBA <cs_dba(at)consistentstate(dot)com>
To: Craig Ringer <ringerc(at)ringerc(dot)id(dot)au>
Cc: Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>, PG Admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: replication from Oracle to PostgreSQL?
Date: 2011-08-12 14:40:06
Lists: pgsql-admin
On 08/11/2011 08:09 PM, Craig Ringer wrote:

>>> EnterpriseDB's Postgres Plus Advanced Server has a realtime replication
>>> solution bundled.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>
>> That was the first thing I tried to push 'em towards... they shut it
>> down cause it's not free (which is weird since they're not considering a
>> real TCO, but they are the customer).
>
> Using Oracle ... and objecting to "not free"?

That's why we're here - to help 'em migrate from Oracle to PostgreSQL,
it seems some systems will need a longer Oracle life due to other
constraints

> *boggle*
agreed

> There are lots of ETL tools available, and there's always the
> roll-your-own queue-based trigger replication system option. Of
> course, both options would probably cost more than buying EDB's
> already built and tested version...

interesting idea, any specific ETL tools you could recommend?

> --
> Craig Ringer

Kevin Kempter       -       Constent State
A PostgreSQL Professional Services Company
           www.consistentstate.com